Best Birthday Present Ever and Chicken Lily
Reading is even more fun and meaningful when books come alive. Here’s a few extension activities for each book this month to get you started.
These activities were curated for you by Graceann of Creating a Heavenly Haven. She has an undergrad in Early Childhood Education, a Masters in Education, and is currently homeschooling her three adorable kiddos.
Best Birthday Present Ever
What would you do if your friend gave you a stick for your birthday? The modern illustrations in UK author Ben Mantle’s debut book add a little punch to this delightfully sweet story about friendship, thoughtful giving, and creative play.
Image credit: Creating A Heavenly Haven
You’ll want to read the activity post for full details, but here’s a quick preview of just some of the activities you can do to enjoy Best Birthday Present Ever even more.
- Practice wrapping presents together (fine motor skills!)
- Go on an adventure to find YOUR perfect stick, and then pretend away
- Do some weaving on a DIY loom made from sticks!
Lily’s journey to overcome her fear of participating in the school’s poetry jam is complete with a supportive teacher, encouraging friends, and the assurance that you don’t have to triumph over every fear simultaneously! The expressive illustrations and plethora of bird puns add levity and humor for a book that’s the whole package!
You’ll want to read the activity post for full details, but here’s a quick preview of just some of the activities you can do to enjoy Chicken Lily even more.
- Have a discussion about facing your fears (Graceann has some great insight about the difficulty kids have differentiating between fear and anxiety, so read on!)
- Play a rhyming game
- Memorize a poem for your own Poetry Jam! (Don’t worry, we’ve got some tips on how to memorize in the full activity post as well!)